Spartangburg's Magnolia Street Train Depot
The original Spartanburg Union Station on Magnolia Street was built in 1904, and once served the Southern Railway, the Clinchfield Railway and the Charleston & Western Carolina Railway. Sadly, the original station building was torn down bit by bit until, in 1996, the remaining structure was gutted by fire. The week after the fire, 16-year-old Trey Davis III, then in high school, began an initiative to save the station through letters, editorials and visits to city leaders. The station was saved through a popular volunteer effort and subsequently restored. In addition to a passenger waiting area, the building houses the Hub City Railroad Museum.